General Motors of Canada took home the Best of Show trophy for its Chevrolet Hockey Helmet Program at the 8th annual Sponsorship Marketing Awards (SMAs). The SMAs were presented Tuesday at the Sponsorship Marketing Council of Canada’s annual conference in Toronto. They recognize companies that have maximized their investments in sponsorship marketing by developing innovative strategies that drive business results. Other big winners this year were Scotiabank, which took home three awards; and BMO, CIBC, IBM and Kraft Foods each winning two awards.
“This year’s SMA case entries were very impressive to say the least,” said Hari Sihvo, Director, Marketing Assets with Molson Coors Canada and Chair of Judging for the 2012 SMAs. “The bar continues to be raised each year, which is a credit to the Canadian sponsorship community. On behalf of the SMCC and the judging panel, I want to congratulate all who entered.” Videos of the winning entries will be posted on the SMCC’s website.
In addition to Hari Sihvo as Judging Chair, the other judges of this year’s awards program were:
- Sue Bundy, Director, Corporate Sponsorships and Marketing Alliances, BMO Financial Group
- Simon Cazelais, Director, Alliance Marketing, bleublancrouge
- Jeff Deline, Senior Director, Corporate Partnerships, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment
- George Dudas, Director, Marketing & Corporate Partnerships (Canada), National Football League
- Dana Gladstone, Associate Vice President, Sponsorship & Community Relations, Canadian Tire
- Nicolas Marullo, President and CEO, CINCO
- Tyler Mazereeuw, Director, Business Development, Canadian Football League
- Jason Quehl, Director of Marketing, Red Bull Canada
- Gavin Roth, Vice-President, Multiplatform Sales, Rogers Media
- Karim Salabi, Vice-President of marketing – Image & Sponsorships Marketing, RONA
- Patrick Taylor, Executive Producer and CEO, Toronto Downtown Jazz
- Laurel Walzak, Director, Integrated Sales & Partnership Marketing, National Hockey League
- Glenn Young, President and CEO, Liquid Nutrition Group