It is important to have rules. Rules guide us, protect us, and allow our society to be fair. Every day we work in the sponsorship industry, we need to focus on being fair, delivering value, and working together. It is through mutual respect and living by a code of ethics respectful of others that we thrive.
I often wonder about rules. People tell me about slogans and concepts that allow them to thrive. Some are upstanding, some are not. I always look for ways to improve myself, both on the professional side within our industry and on the personal side with my family and friends. Recently, someone presented me with what they called the “Seven Cardinal Rules for Life.” I read them and then embraced them. I think these seven short rules or suggestions are a great set of directions for personal and professional success. I want to share them with you.
1) Make peace with your past so it won’t disturb your present.
2) What other people think of you is none of your business.
3) Time heals almost everything. Give it time.
4) No one is in charge of your happiness—except you!
5) Don’t compare your life to others and don’t judge them. You have no idea what their journey is all about.
6) Stop thinking too much. It is all right not to know all the answers. They will come to you when you least expect it.
7) Smile. You don’t own all the problems of the world.
I hope you find some wisdom in these and choose to embrace them as I have.